Layered Paper Pastels

Friday, June 12, 2009

Respectable Southern Lady?

Artist's Way-Week #1 Recovering a Sense of Safety

I have come up with quite literally a ba-zillion things that compromise my creativity, but there is one that consistently buzzes around like an annoying summer house fly. It really has more to do with age and the genteel south than my creativity. Raised in a small rural southern town in the fifties and sixties, my parents diligently tried to bring me up as a Refined Respectable Southern Lady. Unfortunately, I failed miserably at it. To this day I do not wear lady like dresses or high heels, they hurt my feet and I prefer shorts & flip-flops. I do not have a beautiful southern manicured lawn (but I do have a Magnolia Tree) because I can't seem to grow anything but weeds, however in my opinion, anything green that grows and requires mowing, IS a lawn. It is my belief that Sunday mornings should be strictly for lounging because spirituality should be practiced every day, not just one day and I do not belong to any do-good civic organizations, because I do not need to be organized to do good.

My parents really did an excellent job of raising me up right, because to this day, there continues to be this nagging Refined Respectable Southern Lady movie that plays over and over in my head. A lousy reminder of my failure to attain that status. There is no big deep seeded psychosis here, just this pesky pang of guilt that regularly eats away at my creative self esteem.

Finally, I am well past my own mid-century mark and I think I can safely let go of the fear of falling short of the typical, elegant, Refined Respectable Southern Lady expectations and at last embrace and celebrate all that I am at this moment.

So with all that being said, I am pleased to announce, that The Refined Respectable Southern Lady movie has been canceled. The Old Eccentric Artsy Broad show is now playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment